Monday, January 20, 2014

Browse » home» » » Pasta Fazool

Pasta Fazool

I love facebook! Its such a fun way to connect with people. You may be asking yourself,  What does that have to do with Pasta Fazool? Well, tonight I asked the question - What is it called in your family - Pasta Fagioli or Pasta Fazool. Pasta Fazool is the hands down winner. Nanny always called it Fazool but as I got older I was "corrected" by someone who calls it Fagioli. I dont have to worry anymore, my facebook friends have given me permission to call it by the name I grew up with - Fazool! Thank you! If you arent already a follower come check out my facebook page by clicking HERE. Please feel free to get involved in the conversations, its fun!  I also have another hobby so if anyone is looking for some home decorating and design tips please follow me HERE.  I dont have a ton of followers there but would love to get some conversation going so dont be shy!

Tonight I made a version of Rachael Rays Pasta Fazool but changed somethings around.  You can see her original recipe here.  Below is how I made it with some changes. The recipe is pretty basic but the addition of the cheese rind and the crushed red pepper gives it great depth. You can make this spicy if you like,  I just like a little kick and just to clarify - a little kick for me is nonexistant to Steve and probably most people. 



Pasta Fazool


Ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 cloves garlic,  minced
1 8 oz can delmonte tomato sauce
approx 3 cups of chicken broth
1 packaged of diced prosciutto or pancetta
2 - 15 oz cans of cannelini beans
2 bay leaves
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
5-6 basil leaves
1 rind parmigiano reggiano (optional)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound of orrechiette pasta or any small shape


Directions:

In a large saucepan saute prosciutto in extra virgin olive oil.  When browned add onion, garlic, carrot and celery.  Season with salt and pepper and lower heat.  Sweat the veggies until the onions are translucent.  Add bay leaves, italian seasoning, red pepper, delmonte, 1 can of beans drained and 1 can drained and rinsed  (You want some of the starch to thicken the sauce but not too much) and the chicken broth.  Cover and let mixture come to a boil, then add the basil and cheese rind if you are using it. Let cook for 10 minutes or so or until veggies are tender.  Taste and adjust seasoning according to your taste.

In another pot cook pasta in boiling water.  When pasta is just under al dente add to saucepan using a slotted spoon.  (Some of the starchy water will fill the pasta and help create a tasty thick sauce).  Toss the pasta with the beans and sauce and let cook a minute until pasta is al dente.

Enjoy!


Click here for a printable version of this recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment