Monday, March 24, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » » » » Lamb Souvlaki Flatbread Sandwich with Tsatsiki Sauce

Lamb Souvlaki Flatbread Sandwich with Tsatsiki Sauce


I have been thinking about this Lamb Souvlaki Sandwich with Tsatsiki Sauce way before we decided to have lamb for Palm Sunday Dinner, as a matter of fact, I really wanted to the lamb roast just so I could get the leftovers to make this dish.  This is jusst my take on Greek food as, once again, I have absolutely no greek running through my veins, so I apologize in advance to all of the Greeks reading this for its lack of authenticity.  

I made the tsatsiki sauce by combining 1 small container of Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of grated English cucumber, 1 grated clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill, 1 tsp. of lemon zest, the juice of half the lemon and salt and pepper.  Mix well and refrigerate for about 2 hours or more before eating.

Next step was to create a mini Greek salad to tumble over the sliced lamb sandwich. For the salad, I cut 1 tomato into wedges, sliced some English cucumber, tossed in several Kalamata olives and a few chopped Romaine lettuce leaves.  Stirred them combine with 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, some dried oregano and salt and pepper.

Instead of raw onions, I decided to try them caramelized which I did by slowing sauteeing 1/2 of a sliced red onion very slowly in a skillet with olive oil, salt and pepper.  When the onion were just about finished caramelizing in about 20 minutes, I added the thinly sliced lamb to the pan for just a second until it was heated through. 

I assembled the sandwich, which I ate open faced with a knife and fork, by warming a roasted garlic Naan bread instead of pita and smearing it with a layer of the tsatsiki sauce.  I layered on the warmed lamb and caramelized onions, the greek salad and another little dollop of sauce for good measure.  The perfect way to showcase that left over holiday lamb!

No comments:

Post a Comment