Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » Calzone and Caesar Salad

Calzone and Caesar Salad



I am usually a devout thin and crispy crust pizza eater, but recently I have had this image of a calzone stuffed with spicy pepperoni, sweet bell pepper, earthy mushrooms, onions, fresh tomato sauce and oozing with melty mozzarella cheese in my mind that I simply had to have.  Actually, I think it was the first calzone I have ever eaten.  Delicious, indeed!! 

You can certainly use any pizza dough but I happened to have a ball of my favorite pizza dough recipe in my freezer which I used.  After letting it thaw and rise in a covered bowl placed in a warm place, I rolled it out to a thin 1/8 inch round.  Next, so as not to create a soggy calzone, I lightly covered the dough with my favorite fresh tomato sauce and sprinkled over some shredded mozzarella.  I thinly sliced mushrooms, bell pepper and onion and placed a layer of veggies over the cheese.  Finally, a few pepperoni rounds, a shaving of pecorino romano cheese and a sprinkle of oregano.  Carefully, peel one end of the pizza up and fold the whole pie in half such that it resembles a half moon shape.  Crimp the edges as you would the crust of a pie, brush with olive oil and top with pecorino romano cheese and oregano.  Bake in a 425 degree oven on a pizza stone or baking sheet for approximately 20-30 minutes.  Let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.  A perfect meal when enjoyed with a crispy Caesar salad!  

Caesar Salad
Romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
pecorino or parmesan cheese
anchovy filets, optional (but delicious!)
salt
pepper
croutons

Wash and thoroughly dry romaine lettuce.  Tear into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon and minced anchovy.  Drizzle in olive oil until dressing becomes creamy, thick and emulsified.  Add fresh grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste.  Dress salad sparingly with the dressing, add croutons and toss well to combine.  Serve cold with a few extra grinds of fresh pepper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment