Sunday, April 6, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » » Eggless Beet cakes WBB news

Eggless Beet cakes WBB news




It was meant to be a continuation of this post, but then a few days have passed since then, and I cannot exactly recall what I meant to share with my readers in Early morning stories - Part II. Im sure there was something good and Im also sure it will come back to me sometime. When it does, I promise to share it.

What I surely remember and you also may, from my earlier post is this cute mushy pic of two heart shaped mini cake tins filled with an even mushier pink batter. By the way, let me share with you that Im not an overly mushy person at all. I do resort to tissues in some very sad scenes in the movies and especially the Bollywood movies where the sole motive of some directors is to squeeze the audiences lachrymal glands, a bit sadistic dont you think so? Thats about it.

Hey, which self-respecting girl doesnt like flowers or chocolates and for any lurking guys reading this blog - we dont need a Valentines day. Any day is good to show us some TLC and well forget all about the (marketeers mania) Valentines. Anyway....these heart-shaped pink-turned brown cakes can show how much you love, to whomever you serve them.

I made them sans eggs because the man in my life was off eggs for some reason. You can surely replace the egg replacement with two eggs and it will be as good, if not better. However, in comparison with the Carrot Cake I baked a while ago with eggs, I felt that the texture of this cake albeit eggless, was extremely spongy. When I removed them from the oven after the baking time, and pressing them down, they were SO soft that I almost thought them to be not-cooked through. A tester confirmed otherwise. So, here is a recipe for the Beet Cake. Not a serious dessert, but great with tea, if you have some friends over, or a weekend brunch kinda menu...which reminds me I must rant a bit more before giving you the recipe.

Update:
(Please find a detailed post on WBB update and list of guest hosts here)

This is a much-due announcement about Weekend Breakfast Blogging (WBB ) - the event that I started in an attempt to popularise breakfast among us food-bloggers. A Christmas event had been announced in December and 8 entries were received for the same, which due to festival time constraints and traveling, I couldnt do a round up then. And, as time passed by, I found it very silly (not to mention embarassing) to post a Christmas round up 3 months late. After quite some emails and enquiries I received about the status of the event, I thought it is high times to inform you all about my plans for WBB.

With due fairness to those who submitted me their entries in December, I shall do a round up in my next post and Id request you to write in to me, if you are interested in guest hosting this. Since it is a monthly event, Id like to plan six months in advance - so that we can have the hosts and the themes set out.

Please mail me your interest at saffrontrail@gmail.com and we shall jointly decide which month is convenient for each of us.

Recipe for Eggless Beet Cake





Eggless Beet Cakes
Time taken - 40 min - 1 hr
Makes two mini cakes or one 8" cake
Category - Low cal baking, healthy baking
Source - Adapted from this recipe of Taste Goblet




ingredients

1 cup all purpose / whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar or less if beets are sweet
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp finely grated ginger or ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp warm water OR use 2 eggs

1/3rd cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup finely grated beets or a mix of carrots and beets
1 tsp orange zest (optional)

directions

Preheat oven at 175 C. Grease an 8" tin or two mini cake tins. Keep aside.
In large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients with a fork or sift to air them.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs (If using) or beat together the oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, grated beets and zest for a minute.
Prepare the egg replacing mix, this will start frothing as soon as you add the warm water to the oil and baking powder. Put this frothing mix into the other wet ingredients. Give it a good stir.
Stir this wet mixture into the dry ingredients until they come together.
Pour into the greased tins and bake for 40 minutes or 25 minutes for mini tins until a tester comes out clean.
Remove and let the cakes cool in their tins for 15 minutes, before unmoulding them.

notes

  • You could do a cream cheese frosting as in the original recipe or eat it as it is over a mug of coffee.
  • Try substituting the beets with grated zucchini, and increasing the quantity of sugar accordingly.

  • This cake is good when you want to sneak in some healthy veggies into your kids diet. You could also try this using natural sugars like jaggery for a healthier version.

tags

beetroot, healthy cake, low fat baking, eggless cake, WBB

No comments:

Post a Comment