Friday, May 2, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » » » » » » Pasta with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes and Grilled Italian Sausage

Pasta with Fresh Heirloom Tomatoes and Grilled Italian Sausage


When it comes right down to it, my favorite summertime treats are tomatoes (with Georgia peaches running a very close second).  Not just your run-of-the-mill tomato, though a warm one eaten freshly picked from your own garden is a delight, Im talking about those big, brilliant, beautiful, burstingly plump heirloom tomatoes.  To me, tomatoes carry a certain nostalgic quality.  I can recall, when I was home from school during summer break, the aroma which erupted from a perfectly ripe tomato when sliced for my lunch time ham sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise.  In my opinion, the best way to enjoy these summer jewels is to prepare them with as little fan fare as possible and let them shine in their most natural state.   

This tomato sauce is of the "no cook" variety, but when the tomato juices mix with the starchy pasta, a surprisingly luxurious consistency is created which clings perfectly to the pasta. I started with a Cherokee Purple Heirloom tomato diced into a very pieces placed in a mixing bowl with 1 minced clove of garlic, a big bunch of fresh basil, a sprig or two of fresh oregano, a splash of balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, a good seasoning of sea salt, and a spoonful of sugar.  I stirred to combine well and let it hang out on the kitchen counter until the rest of the meal was ready. 

Next, I grilled a few hot Italian sausages over medium heat until they were just cooked through.  Meanwhile, I cooked the pasta according to the directions while the sausages took a minute to rest.  

Finally, I drained the pasta and added it to a large mixing bowl.  I poured in the "tomato sauce" and tumbled in the sliced sausage with a few tiny fresh mozzarella balls and a mound of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  After tossing well, I enjoyed it with a little fresh sprinkle of cheese!      

No comments:

Post a Comment