Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » » » Roast Chicken with Rice and Gravy

Roast Chicken with Rice and Gravy


If I had to pick my favorite old fashioned, comfort food type meal it would definitely be roasted chicken and fluffy white rice with gravy and little salad with oil and vinegar.  Something about all those tasty flavors together is just the best. I was dying to have this dinner but as yesterday afternoon progressed and I was out doing errands, I realized I was running out of time to roasted my own chicken at home before it would be time for bed. So,  I will admit, however, while I was at Sams Club, I decided to pick up one of their rotisserie chickens and make my life easy.  By adding a few homemade side dishes and an easy and delicious gravy, I turned that humble chicken into a fantastic dinner.  

Perfect Rice
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
salt
pepper

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the rice.  Stir completely to coat each grain of rice with the butter.  Season with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and some fresh ground pepper. Add 2 cups of water, cover with a lid and cook without peaking for 18 minutes.  Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and serve. 

Easy Gravy 
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup of chicken stock
pan drippings from roasted chicken
salt
pepper

In a sauce pan combine butter and flour and cook over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes until raw flour taste is gone.  Whisk in the chicken stock and pan drippings and simmer for about 5-10 minutes until thickened.  Season with salt and pepper.  If it gets too thick add a bit more stock.  If too thin simmer a tad longer until it reaches the perfect consistency.     

No comments:

Post a Comment