Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Browse » home» » » » BBQ Turkey Pizza

BBQ Turkey Pizza

I guess by now, most people have put the "what should I do with the turkey leftovers" problem to rest for another year. But, as you know from yesterdays "Amys Dinner", I just made my mini turkey dinner on New Years Day. I, therefore, still have turkey to work with and, though I may be late in helping you this year, be sure remember this for next years left over turkey...it was a winner!

I love making pizza and have experimented with many different dough recipes, boxed mixes and pre-made crusts. While most are good and could be used with this recipe, I have found that my favorite pizza crust is from a standard flat bread dough recipe. It is very simple to do and I make up a batch every now and then and store individual portions in the freezer. For this recipe I used one of the previously made frozen flat bread dough balls, thawed it and allowed it to rise. I rolled the dough and placed it on a pizza peal which was dusted with corn meal. The corn meal will help encourage a crispy crust.

For the sauce, spread a thin layer of your favorite homemade or bottled BBQ sauce. I used "Bone Suckin Sauce". Certainly, experiment with different levels of heat, sweet and smokiness to your likeness. Shred the turkey into chunky bite sized pieces and spread over the BBQ sauce layer. I placed the cheese on top of the turkey and instead of mozzarella, I used a Monterrey jack/cheddar blend which melted beautifully and the two cheeses created a great balance of tang and gooey cheesiness. Smoked mozzarella or gouda, used sparingly, might also be a delicious addition. Red onion and jalepeno slices were the perfect final toppings as well as a dusting of parmesan cheese. I baked the pizza on a stone in a 450 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.

Heres the BBQ Turkey Pizza directly from the oven.


I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and suggestions! Please share your ideas or submit question!

No comments:

Post a Comment