Saturday, March 22, 2014

Browse » home» » » » » Cupcake Practice Smores Cupcakes

Cupcake Practice Smores Cupcakes

This weekend, Kyle went camping with some friends. I was invited to go but a.) I havent had a weekend at home in a month what with travelling, visitors, and plans and b.) I dont go camping.



So with Kyle out of town, I had more free time on my hands this weekend this usual, hence, the two batches of cupcakes I made.



I made a smores cupcake with a graham cracker cucpake with a graham cracker crust, topped with marshmallow frosting, drizzled with semisweet chocolate. It was supposed to be dunked in the chocolate, but Ill explain that later.



As I started to get my ingredients together (mind you it was around 9:30 pm), I realized the can of baking soda I bought earlier in the week from Trader Joes was actually baking powder. They are not the same thing and there was not way for me to substitute. So, I hauled myself back to the grocery store, in the rain people!! to get my can of baking powder. Thanks to my basement level apartment, I generally have no sense for the weather system brewing outside, which is why I headed out without an umbrella. With no time to spare, I braved the rain umbrella-less. Needless to say I looked a hot tranny mess when I got back to my apartment.


But I had the baking soda!

So, here were my ingredients for the smores cupcakes:




Ive got the recipe below, but heres the general progression of things, pictorially:






Yes, those are pink foil cupcake liners, why do you ask?




The ceremonial scraping of the vanilla bean. (I do have plenty of cutting boards, but i was lazy and did this on a paper towel instead. Whats it to you, huh?)

I forgot to document the process after this until they came out of the oven. Ooops!




I really need a stand mixer, but in the meantime my handheld mixer really does a good job:




Tear. These may be the prettiest cupcakes Ive ever made.



Okay, so heres where things kind of went, a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle south. This marshmallow icing needs to sit up for a while before you try to dunk it in chocolate, or else this happens (cue the disaster music):




Its supposed to maintain that tall swirly-do shape with a chocolate coating, but alas, the marshmallow succombed to the yummy chocolate and I got this nice marble-effect. Whatevs, it was still de-lish!





Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Because I wanted the rest to look a little more presentable, I ended up drizzling the rest with the chocolate instead of trying to dunk them. Then I dusted some crushed graham cracker on top. Frankly, I think these look pretty damn fantastic:




Try them for yourself. Just make sure you have baking soda beforehand!

Graham Cracker Cupcakes (adapted from Chokylit recipe)

12 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven

1 cup graham cracker crumbs, from 6 whole graham crackers
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs, from 2-1/2 whole graham crackers
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk1 teaspoon vanilla


1. Combine 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
2. Scoop a heaping teaspoon into each cupcake paper, pressing down to cover the bottom.
3. Beat butter on high speed until soft, about 30 seconds.
4. Add brown sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.
6. Whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
7. Measure out milk and vanilla together.
8. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
9. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined.
10. Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
11. Scoop into cupcake papers three-quarters full.12. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Swiss Meringue Marshmallow Frosting

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 egg whites
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine egg whites and sugar in the top of a double boiler (or a glass bowl over but not touching a pan of simmering water). Whisk constantly over medium-high heat until sugar is entirely desolved (should feel smoth between your fingers), about 5 minutes. Remove from double boiler and continue to beat on high for 6 minutes or until room temperature and soft peaks form. Add vanilla extract 1 teaspoon at a time until desired flavor.

Drizzle with melted semi-sweet chocolate and garnish with crushed graham cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment